The top two remodeling projects for people’s homes are kitchens and bathrooms. There are many reasons for remodeling your bathroom. Perhaps you’ve bought an old house and you’re desperate to get rid of that 1970’s avocado bath set? Or, maybe you’ve had your current bathroom for many years and it’s finally worn out.
Whatever your reason for embarking on a bath remodel in San Diego, you need to make sure you’ve prepared properly for the project. A bathroom remodel can be complicated because it involves major plumbing works that need to be done properly.
If you live in the San Diego area and you’re ready to get the bathroom of your dreams, read on to discover everything you need to know about bathroom renovation, San Diego-style.
Why is Bathroom Remodeling Important?
Bathroom renovation isn’t just about the aesthetics. Old bathrooms can actually be dangerous for your home. This is because, over time, the plumbing deteriorates (especially if the house is old) and can eventually spring a leak.
You may not initially notice the leak, so it can be quietly doing damage in a wall or ceiling cavity. This damage builds up until the area around it suddenly collapses. Larger, stronger leaks or floods will be obvious but will cause significant damage very quickly. Mold, then, becomes an issue that can be very difficult to deal with.
Depending on the quality of the last bathroom remodel, you should expect to remodel again after around ten years. High-quality bathrooms will last longer, up to around 15 years, while cheap remodels may only last five years. If you do the math, a higher-quality bathroom model may be more cost-effective over time, but you’d still likely have up-front costs to consider.
Will Remodeling a Bathroom Add Value?
Bath remodeling in San Diego certainly adds value to your property. This is good news, especially if you plan to sell your property in the near future. Again, it depends on the quality of the remodel, but you can expect to recoup around 50 – 70% of the remodel cost when you sell your property, while enjoying the remodel yourself as long as you’re in the house.
If you’re looking to maximize the return on your remodel investment, talk to some reliable bathroom contractors – if you’re in San Diego, let’s have a chat! A good contractor will be able to advise you on the best type of bathroom remodel to have to achieve this.
Can Remodeling Correct and Prevent Mold and Mildew?
Mold and mildew are problems that occur when there is not enough ventilation in a room. Simply tearing out the old bathroom units and replacing them won’t prevent mold from reappearing if you otherwise have poor ventilation. If you’re going for a full remodel, make sure you discuss the issue with your remodeling contractor, and they will ensure that adequate ventilation is installed as part of the project.
If you have a history of mold, and may need remediation, be sure to factor this in to your budget and timeline.
What are the Current San Diego Trends in Modern Bathrooms?
If you’re looking to be on-trend with your bathroom addition, San Diego residents are particularly going for the following features:
- Tiny mosaic tiles are out and large format tiles are in. Big tile panels look beautiful and have the added advantage of fewer grout lines, making them easier to keep clean.
- Backlit mirrors and cabinets are seriously in demand in 2022. Also, smart mirrors that can be switched on by pressing the mirror surface are rising in popularity.
- Floating vanity units look chic and are extremely practical as they free up floor space and make cleaning easier. Expect to see these everywhere soon as demand increases.
- Comfortable bathtubs are having a moment. Ever since the pandemic kicked off, people have been more inclined to pamper themselves at home. This has led to a rise in demand for spacious, flat-bottomed bathtubs that people can comfortably relax in.
Where Can I Find Bathroom Remodeling Ideas?
You can find inspiration for your shower remodel in many different places. First of all, visit local San Diego bathroom showrooms. They will have the latest and most popular designs on display. Local hardware stores generally tend to have a few options on display too.
If you prefer to look online, then Pinterest and Houzz are handy tools for discovering designs and trends that suit your tastes. Finally, check out your friends, neighbors, and family member’s bathrooms to see if their choice appeals to you.
What Are the Latest Environmentally Friendly Ideas?
Ensuring homes are energy efficient and environmentally friendly is high on many people’s lists when it comes to remodeling. Thankfully, there are many ways to make your bathroom remodel eco-friendly. Here are some of the most popular features:
- Install a dual flush on your toilet. A dual flush will give you two options – a half flush and a full flush. That way, you can use less water to flush liquid waste.
- Aerating faucets and showerheads. These types of fittings mix air with water, so you use less water without sacrificing performance.
- Install a reusable graywater system. Graywater (the water drained from your shower, bath, and sink) can be used to water or irrigate your yard or garden safely. Here’s a link to info from San Diego County on graywater. Many municipalities have restrictions on graywater – get in touch and we can discuss your options.
- Install an energy-efficient heating system such as a ductless mini-split.
- Ensure there is plenty of natural light and install low-energy LED lighting for when it’s dark.
- Invest in the highest quality you can afford, as this will mean your remodel will last the maximum amount of time.
How to Plan a Bathroom Remodeling Project
Planning is a crucial step in any remodeling project. If you take the time to plan sufficiently, you’ll encounter fewer issues and problems when the project is underway.
- Start by drawing up a list of your “must-haves” and current problems that you want to address with your new bathroom.
- Set your budget.
- Research and short-list designs and styles that you want.
- Plan out your timeline for the project and what you will do while your bathroom is out of action while being remodeled.
- Plan the space. Bathrooms are generally fairly small spaces, so make sure everything you want comfortably fits in the room. Measure out the tub, shower unit, and vanity. Plan where they will go.
- Apply for and obtain the right permits for the project.
- Contact and hire a bathroom remodeler. Choose one that has trusted reviews and recommendations.
- Shopping! Time to head to the stores to pick out and buy all the fixtures and fittings.
- Work begins. Keep a close eye on your project to ensure everything is happening as it should.
- Project completion. Carry out a full inspection to be certain that everything is finished to standard and is working properly.
What is the Typical Order of Things in a Bathroom Remodel?
Once you’ve passed the planning stage of your project, you can expect the actual work to be carried out in the following order:
- Remove existing fixtures and units.
- Installation of the new tub and shower unit.
- Installation of new fixtures.
- Laying of floor tiles.
- Wall finishing – hanging drywall, tiling, and painting.
- Installation of cabinets and vanity units.
- Finishing any plumbing hookups.
- Adding sealants and final finishing touches.
How Long Does a Typical Bathroom Remodel Take?
Depending on the complexity of the project, you can expect around 3-4 weeks for your project to be completed. As noted above, your bathroom could be out of action for the duration of this time. Therefore, it’s essential you make plans to ensure you have access to another bathroom or consider staying elsewhere while the work is carried out.
How to Choose a Bathroom Remodel Contractor in San Diego
It can be a minefield trying to choose the best bathroom remodeler for you in San Diego. The last thing you want is someone unreliable or who carries out low-quality work. Fortunately, there are several steps you can take to be certain you hire the right contractor for the job:
- Check out online reviews of the contractor. Endless bad reviews mean they should definitely be avoided.
- Go by recommendations from family and friends.
- Ask plenty of questions and get a feel for how they conduct themselves.
- Ask whether or not they provide a work-quality guarantee or a warranty.
- Go with your gut feeling. If something feels “off” when you’re talking to them, trust your instinct and avoid it.
What to Know Before Hiring a Contractor
As well as carrying out the above research, before hiring a contractor for a small bathroom remodel San Diego, get the following info from them:
- their credentials and what qualifies them to do the work.
- examples of their previous work.
- references from previous customers.
- a detailed quote.
Do I Need to Hire a Plumber?
Plumbing is complicated. If you want to be certain that your new bathroom is safe and works efficiently, you need a plumber. The cost of hiring a plumber is likely to be far less than paying out for any plumbing issues created by doing the job yourself. If you don’t move any fixtures, you can keep plumbing costs down considerably. In other words, your new vanity would go exactly where your old one was.
If you hire a quality contractor, they will typically have their own plumbers that they use for bathroom remodel projects. If you’re carrying out a DIY bathroom remodel, find a reliable plumber by following the same steps above for hiring a contractor.
Where Can I Find Bathroom Remodeling Showrooms?
Simply type (or paste) “bathroom remodeling showrooms San Diego” into the Google search bar, and it will display a handy list of companies in the area. Most bathroom remodel contractors will have showrooms that you can visit. If you know of any near you, why not stop by and visit?
Similarly, hardware stores will have examples of bathrooms in their stores.
Do I Need a Permit for Remodeling in San Diego?
Yes, San Diego bathroom remodeling projects require a permit before work can begin. Approvals can sometimes take up to six months, so ensure you factor this into your timeline. Read more about permits on the San Diego Government website.
How Much Do Bathroom Renovations Cost?
San Diego bathroom remodeling prices can vary considerably. The final price is all down to the size of your bathroom, the number of fixtures and fittings you have and, the quality of everything you have installed.
You can never be completely certain how much your remodel will cost until you get an accurate quote from a contractor. However, here’s what a typical bathroom remodel in San Diego costs:
- Average cost: $12,000 – $13,000
- Lowest cost (for budget remodels): $4,000
- Highest cost (for luxury remodels): $35,000
When building a budget for your remodel, always leave a bit extra in the pot for unforeseen expenses, particularly if you live in an old property. Uncovering hidden damage that needs to be repaired always costs more than expected. Mold especially – the cost of remediation can significantly drive up the costs associated with removal and repair, let alone the remodel.
Is Bathroom Remodeling Tax Deductible?
In most cases, you cannot write off the cost of your bathroom remodel. However, in certain circumstances, it is possible to do so:
- If you rent out the property: The cost of a bathroom remodel can be deducted from your rental income.
- If you’re planning to sell the home: You can write off the cost of bathroom renovations when you sell the home if the remodel extends the life of the home or increases its value.
Make sure you keep the financial records of your bathroom remodeling project. If you decide to rent out or sell the home in the near future, you could be able to write it off.
If your current bathroom has seen better days, having a bathroom remodel is definitely worth having. Not just from an aesthetic point of view but also to ensure your home remains safe and free from water damage. A well-designed bathroom will not just function well and look nice; it will save you money by increasing energy efficiency. Add to that an increase in the value of your home, and you can see why a bathroom remodel is an essential part of home maintenance.
LAST UPDATED: February 15, 2022